My Music!!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, April 2, 2009

"Always Attract" by You Me At Six (Song Analysis 2)



Song Analysis 2
The song “Always Attract” by You Me At Six is a beautifully crafted song with poetic devices scattered throughout it. This song is about a couple who just can’t seem to get it right. They are always fighting and going in and out of love, as seen in the lyrics “If it hurts this much/It must be love.” This line shows that even though they fight and break up it still hurts, which means that they still must have some feelings for the other. In the first verse “If it hurts this much/Then it must be love/And it's a lottery/I can't wait to draw your name/Oh I’m trying to get to you/But time isn't on my side/If the truth's the worst I can do/Then I guess that I have lied” this is where he is trying to get back with the girl. The line “Of I’m trying to get you/But time isn’t on my side/If the truths the worst I can do/ Then I guess I have lied” really shows this because he probably told the girl something she didn’t want to hear and then left him, so now he’s trying to get back yet has to lie to do so. There is also some metaphor in this verse, in the lines “And it’s the lottery/I can’t wait to draw your name.” This is a metaphor because it’s not really the lottery but he feels like he’s won the lottery every time he thinks about her.
The second verse strengthens the same point. “Keeping me awake/It's been like this now for days/My heart is out at sea/My head all over the place/I'm losing sense of time/And everything tastes the same/I'll be home in a day/I fear that’s a month too late.” This is the verse where you can really tell he’s hurting. He can’t sleep, his heart keeps going up and down (Like it’s on the waves), his mind keeps drifting (Probably back to her), and nothing seems new everything thing seems old and boring. Now he’s on his way back but he’s afraid that he’ll be too late to do anything. There is a lot of metaphor in this verse as well. “My heart is out to sea.” His heart isn’t really out to sea, but he feels like he is drifting on the waves. “My mind all over the place” His mind isn’t really everywhere, it’s still in his head but it keeps drifting and thinking about different things. And lastly is the line “And everything tastes the same.” Everything should taste different (unless he’s eating the same food) but since he is so emotionally depressed nothing seems new and everything has the same taste.
“That night I slept/On your side of the bed so/It was ready when you got home/we’re like circles and crosses in that/Opposites always attract” One of the choruses in the song, this shows that he still misses her and the it was ready when you got home part gives us hope that she’ll be coming back. They also use a simile in this chorus, “We’re like circles and crosses/Opposites always attract” This line is a simile because they are saying their circles and crosses. This line also gives the listener hope that they’ll come back together because opposites attract.
“You've taken me to the top/And let me fall back south/You've had me at the top of the pile/And then had me kissing the ground/We've heard and seen it all/No one's talked us out/The problems that have come/Haven't yet torn us down” This is the last verse of the song and shows what actually happened to him while in the relationship and gives a little last burst of hope. His significant other pretty much made him feel awesome and then let him down, and did this multiple times until at last it was too much to handle. The line “We’ve seen and done it all” shows that they have been together for a long time and the lines “The problems that have come/Haven’t yet torn us down” giving a little more hope to the cause of her coming back. There are also metaphors in this section too. Both “you had me at the top” is saying that he wasn’t really at the top of anything, but he felt great and then the other two lines “You let me fall back down” and “And then had me kissing the ground” mean that he wasn’t really falling or hitting the ground but she then made him really depressed and sad.
Lastly is the bridge “Am I keeping you awake? If I am then just say.You can make your own decisions you can make your own mistakes I'll live and let die all the promises you made/But if you lie another time, it'll be a lie that's too late” This section shows that he has finally had enough. He has had enough of her lying and pushing him around and if she lies one more time then that’s it, he’s done. Overall this song is a beautifully crafted love song that anyone with a broken heart would feel better after listening to.

1 comment: